Friday, June 13, 2008

Self and Unit Evaluation

REGARDING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE
1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?

I am most proud of the outside research I did online and included with my assignments, the amount of time I spent actually engaged in the course material through the labs, and lastly, the degree of completion I acheived with each assignment. (I've been traveling through three states over the past week so that hasn't been easy!)

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?


I would have liked to have the assignments seem more cohesive. There were some images I had found online that would have been a great addition to a few sections, but the uploading placed them sporadically with the text and I just eliminated some of them for this reason. That could use some work.

Also, I'm not sure what motivated me to take the quiz for section one before completing the compendium review. I didn't do bad at all, but would have done better if I'd finished the material I was being tested on before jumping into the quiz. (I was more logical in the second part of the unit and my quiz grade reflected this).

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit? I feel that I should get an A for this unit.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit? In the next unit I will allow myself more time to spread out the coursework. I will likely perform better because the assignments won't be an overwhelming whole, but each a smaller task.


REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")
At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

I felt most engaged during the labs. I am more of a hands-on learner. I remember much more detail when I act on something, rather than just reading about it.


At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course? I felt most distanced from the course about midweek. I had put a few assignments off until the last minute and think I was just overwhelmed with the amount of work I had to complete. I had an aversion to finishing--it seemed that everything online (checking e-mail, chatting with friends, etc.) was a neverending distraction to my completing the coursework.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?

I was frustrated with uploading images and contacted Dr. Frolich about this. He told me to just move on and not worry about the technology, rather the information. That helped me to focus.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?
During this unit I did not find myself puzzled or confused by anyone but myself!

What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)
I was surprised by the nature of the final lab assingment. I had assumed that taking an online class would consist of all word processing type documents.

No comments: