Thursday, June 26, 2008

Self and Unit Evaluation; Unit Two

REGARDING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE
1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?


I am most proud of the images submitted with the unit lab project, my personal investment in a blood pressure monitor, and the inclusion of the Tim Russert correlation with my compendium. I enjoyed this unit, with its real-life application (s).

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?

In the unit lab I had a hard time (again) with several of the images. I can not figure out how to have the graphed images appear larger when they're clicked upon. I didn't want to spend much more time with the technology as it seems frivolous and just frustrates me. (Perhaps I should take my metabolic measurements using that as an activity?!) Also, sometimes I have difficulty putting things in my own words. When phrases are written out in the text describing the function or one thing or another I tend to think the author did a good enough job and just want to copy and paste everything instead of rewording it.


3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit? I believe I should get an A on this unit.


4. How could I perform better in the next unit? Next unit I'd like to spend more time completing the chapters, web activities, etc. before submitting work. I find that I like to feel accomplished so I go through the assignments in the most random order to get things off the checklist. I have a good understanding when I'm through with everything, but logically would be benefited by slowing down. (I'm not traveling over the next couple of weeks so this will be much easier).


REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")
At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

I felt most engaged during the unit lab. I had a friend with me so that contributed. I found that later in the day she and I would do something or encounter someone and be like, "I wonder what THAT would do to your blood pressure?!" I found the activity to be engaging in the moment of the lab, but continuously engaging as well.

At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?

I felt really distanced from the course towards the beginning of last week. I traveled from AZ to New Mexico, Texas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey to catch up with some friends and family. My computer wasn't always cooperative so I found myself coveting internet time to finish everything.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?

I wasn't puzzled or confused by anything in this unit. (Or at least not an action that was taken by anyone).

What about this unit surprised you the most?
I was surprised by how relevant the unit was. A lot of the information was repetitive from past classes, general knowledge, etc, but I learned useful things that I plan to incorporate into my daily life, including the use of a blood pressure monitor. I was surprised how "into" this unit I was.

1 comment:

Larry Frolich said...

Stephanie Rose Clark
Stephanie,
Great job on this unit. Hard to say where you could improve. Sorry the image posting still frustrates you…it all looks great…I’m not sure myself why sometimes the images won’t open into larger..maybe they are already full size? Anyways, the ones I needed to see big were no problem. Keep up the great work!
LF


COMPENDIUM MAJOR TOPIC ONE: OXYGEN, MICROBES, IMMUNITY:
Your compendiums both look great. Nice images, with sources, good information, well organized, table of contents….good level of detail…way to go.

COMPENDIUM MAJOR TOPIC TWO: NUTRITION:


LAB MAJOR TOPIC ONE: BLOOD PRESSURE
This lab also looks perfect—you set up the question, get the data and analyze it well, just like the questions ask for.


LAB MAJOR TOPIC TWO: A DAY OF FOOD
Thanks for your honest assessment…it is a quick food diet…probably not that horrible, but I guess a lot of fat, also lots of sodium which almost everyone has…hard to change that…nice self-analysis!


LAB PROJECT: EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY:
Wow, beautiful hike—where is it!? Nice job on this lab write-up. Good activities to choose….your data table is great with the averages in each square as are your graphs. You do a good job of analyzing the data relative to your hypothesis. You might have considered some things that might have affected your data—what order did you do the activities? When did you do the repeats---resting in between/ things like that?
Just a minor point---the overall write-up is great.


ETHICAL ISSUE ESSAY: WHAT IS FOOD:
That must have been quite an experience on the island—thanks for including that personal story..it does put something like the Slow food approach in perspective since it is such a natural part of daily life on the island, but here has to be somehow forced onto us!